Monday, May 26, 2008

Musical Menagerie



Today has been a long, eventful day. I'm finally back on a reasonable practice schedule and am furiously learning two new arias before my lesson tomorrow. She told me last week that I am to sing in a competition at the end of the month... BUT I had to have two Puccini arias to qualify. I have no Puccini arias. Not one. This does not deter Taskova, oh no, she says, "no problem, pick from these four, and learn them before your next lesson (in three days)". Well, that isn't EXACTLY how she says it since she says it in Italian and with much more diva flourish, but that was the gist.

So here I am, reviewing and perfecting the four other arias for the competition, picking and learning two brand new ones -- and as if that weren't enough I've been asked to learn a few Neapolitan songs for an upcoming concert a local opera company wants to give me (what the heck Neapolitan songs are, and were I'm to find them I haven't a clue, though unfortunately something tells me it has nothing to do with vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream) -- the same opera company also has me memorizing Rigoletto in its entirety "as soon as possible". And La Traviata "if it isn't too much trouble".

That's my morning: singing. Then it's off to run a few errands which somehow come to include the citywide search for a bunny. Eight miles and a very tired Dave later, we find the perfect one. Puccini. He's two months old and about the cutest things I've every seen. Unfortunately he's also the cutest thing Teo has ever seen, and so I have yet to hold him...

We introduced him to Dave, and while the bunny didn't seem that interested, Dave was mezmorized. Puccini is now a very slobbery bunny.

No comments: